How to Wash and Dry Your Screen-printed T-shirts
Whether you have screen-printed t-shirts to express your style, promote your brand, or support a special cause, caring for them properly is essential to keep them in top condition. Here is some useful information on washing and drying your screen-printed t-shirts.
Caring for Screen-Printed T-Shirts – Do’s and Don’ts
Do this when you wash your screen-printed t-shirts:
- Turn the shirts inside out to protect the print from abrasions
- Wash with those made of similar fabrics to decrease pilling and lint transferring
- Use a mild detergent
- Wash in cold water or at temperatures below 90° Fahrenheit
- Wash with your hands or using the washing machine’s gentle cycle
- Dry the screen-printed t-shirt by hanging it or laying it flat.
- If necessary, iron the screen-printed t-shirt inside out using a cool iron (lowest temperature). Ironing it between two pieces of cloth will help preserve the design.
Do not do this when washing your screen-printed shirts:
- Dry Clean – Chemicals in the dry cleaning process can cause staining or spotting on screen-printed t-shirts.
- Bleach (Especially Chlorine Bleach) – The bleaching agents will discolor dyes and fabric threads used in screen printing.
- Use Fabric Softener – Fabric softener degrades the screen-printing ink, causing it to crack or fade.
Other Common Issues
Despite the quality, all fabrics are prone to pilling. Friction during washing or wearing causes pilling (fuzz balls) by loosening the fabric’s fibers and pulling them away from the fabric. Though a hand-held fabric shaver can help eliminate pills, it is better to wash the t-shirts inside out.
The heat from dryers and washing in hot water shrink the t-shirts (especially those made of 100% cotton). Pre-shrinking the garment before screen printing can prevent further shrinkage.
- Hard Water
Minerals found in hard water deposit in the fabric’s fibers, making them stiff and increasing the chances of pilling. Hard water degrades screen-printing dyes and colors, causing them to fade or run. Soaking the screen-printed garments in a water and white vinegar solution before washing prevents pilling and discoloration.
If you are looking for some high-quality shirts, then check out some of these Pro-Tuff shirts:
- G2000 Ultra Cotton Short Sleeve T-shirt
These durable and stylish cotton t-shirts can be customized for your sport, activity, brand, or organization. They come in different colors and sizes to choose from.
- U1305775 Under Armour Locker 2.0 Short Sleeve T-Shirt
These ultra-soft, quick-drying polyester t-shirts come with anti-odor technology, four-way stretch fabric for greater mobility, and the UA logo on the top front chest and back.
- B4605 Badger B-Cool Compression Long Sleeve
These polyester-spandex long sleeve t-shirts are made of moisture-management technology. They feature a self-fabric collar, badger heat seal logo on the left sleeve and center back neck, and double-needle hem with tack.
At Pro-Tuff Decals, we have a wide range of customized t-shirts that are affordable and meet your needs. Call us today to place an order.